Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Purple Mountain Observatory



From Wikipedia: "Purple Mountain Observatory, also known as Zijinshan Astronomical Observatory, is an astronomical observatory located on the Purple Mountain in Nanjing, China."



I started this book in 1999 as a test for hinged pieces of stiff watercolor paper that could be sewn together with a Coptic stitch. When I left it I was very unhappy with some of the imagery and thought I wouldn't find a resolution. Of course now I can't remember how I envisioned the final book. Was there supposed to be a separate cover? Why are there an odd number of pages and no end papers in the back? Last week I did a little more collage and some painting. Now, at last, I feel happy with it. There are more page views and information on my web site.

I have at least 10 more unfinished projects in my studio. They were abandoned because I couldn't find a way to resolve a problem, or I didn't have the skills to carry out a technical part. Occasionally a more alluring project came along.

I am starting a list, maybe more of them will get finished. I would like to have some new work to take to the Book Arts Jam in October.

No comments: